Who has time to make pancakes from scratch on a weekday? Sundays are the only pancake days in our household. These thin, round cakes are the best way to start off the week with your family or to add something special to a more formal brunch. Freeze them and you might be able to bring just a little bit of “Sunday” to your weekday.
The dried cranberries happen to be our favorite ingredient in this recipe. They are a little tangy and with no cholesterol, sodium or fat, they can do no wrong. In fact, cranberries have been studied in the hope of treating or preventing a variety of illnesses such as urinary tract infections or Helicobacter pylori (H. Pylori) infections that can produce stomach ulcers. A recent study suggests that cranberries might also prevent dental plaque. And finally, they have also been reported to be an excellent source of antioxidants and possibly to have anticancer properties.
Let us know if your next Sunday is a pancake one! Enjoy.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon hazelnut meal
1 tablespoon wheat germ
1 teaspoon Ener-g Egg Replacer
1½ teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup plain soy milk
1 tablespoon agave nectar
¼ cup canola oil
1 teaspoon orange zest
3 teaspoons orange juice
½ cup dried cranberries
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, hazelnut meal, wheat germ, Ener-g Egg Replacer, baking powder and salt.
2. In a smaller bowl, mix the soy milk, agave nectar, canola oil, orange zest, orange juice and dried cranberries.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the soy milk mixture; whisk until the batter is smooth.
4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using about a ¼ cup for each pancake. Lightly brown on both sides.
5. Sprinkle a few cranberries on top and serve hot.
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe for free to receive new recipes by email.
Tagged: Agave Sweetened, Berries, breakfast, Dairy-free, Dried Cranberries, food, Healthy, kid-friendly, Macrobiotic, No dairy, No sugar, Orange, Orange Zest, Recipe, Sugar-free, vegan, Vegetarian, Wheat Germ