Why is this the best chocolate cupcake? Because it contains NO GUILT. It is good for you and oh, so yummy. Go ahead… you can eat another one!
Avocado is an important ingredient in this recipe. It gives the cupcake moisture. The avocado is considered one of the world’s healthiest fruit, because of it contains nutrients such as vitamin K, dietary fiber, potassium, folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. Avocados also contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that may help lower cholesterol and has been shown to prevent breast cancer in numerous studies.
1½ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 avocado, pitted and peeled and chopped
¾ cup plain soymilk
1¼ cup maple syrup
⅓ cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 oz. extra-firm silken tofu, patted dry (we use the boxed Mori-Nu brand that isn’t refrigerated bought at Whole Foods or Mom’s Organic Market)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoon salt
8 oz. grain-sweetened chocolate chips (we use the Sunspire brand bought at Whole Foods or Mom’s Organic Market), melted
1. Preheat your oven to 350° F and line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Start the cupcakes by whisking together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl.
3. Place avocado and the soymilk in food processor and pulse until smooth.
4. Add maple syrup, oil and vanilla into the avocado mixture and blend well.
5. Combine the avocado mixture into the flour ingredients and whisk together.
6. Divide the batter into the 12 cupcake cups and bake for 20 minutes or until the center of the cupcakes are baked enough to show only a few crumbs after a toothpick is inserted.
7. While the cupcakes are cooling start making the chocolate topping by mixing the tofu, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in a food processor.
8. Add the melted chocolate into the tofu ingredients and blend well until smooth.
9. Place the chocolate topping on the cupcakes and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe for free to receive new recipes by email.