This is the perfect breakfast treat. It has a little bit of ginger that helps you wake up in the morning… and we can all use that, right?
A big plus is that it is easy to prepare. I usually make this the evening before and stick it in the oven to bake before I start my morning flurry of preparations for the day. My son also loves it so I know that he will head off to school with a full belly when I make it.
A quick note on the benefits of ginger. It has been used in Eastern Medicine for over 2,000 years to aid in digestion and treat for upset stomach and nausea. Ginger has also been used to help everything from the common cold to headaches and painful menstrual cramps. All this and it tastes good too.
2 cups of old fashioned oats*
1 ¼ cup pumpkin puree
1 ½ cup soy milk
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon grated ginger
½ teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread, softened
* Let us turn you onto a great find! We order Christine and Rob’s Old Fashioned Oatmeal from their online store at www.christineandrobs.com. Try it! You will be surprised what a difference this product will make.
1. Preheat your oven to 375° F and spray four individual ramekins with a canola baking spray.
2. Combine the oats, salt and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl. Stir well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the vanilla, buttery spread, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, ginger and soy milk. Whisk thoroughly.
4. Pour the pumpkin combination into the oats and mix together.
5. Divide the mixture between four individual ramekins (if storing overnight you can stop here and continue in the morning).
6. Place the ramekins in the oven and bake at 375° F for 20 minutes.
7. Cool before serving. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe for free to receive new recipes by email.